Vehicle Covers, Auto Covers, Car Covers
CarCoversDirect.com Vehicle Covers: Car Theft Prevention Tips
According to the FBI, thieves steal motor vehicles in this country once every 26.4 seconds! Of these vehicles, only about 12 percent are ever recovered. Auto theft is a real problem in the United States, costing insurance companies and consumers millions of dollars.
Vehicle Covers as Theft Deterrent
Many people are surprised to learn that vehicle covers provide an affordable way to discourage thieves. Most thieves wish to draw very little attention to themselves, so they often avoid stealing vehicles with a car cover. A car cover can also keep a thief from knowing exactly what type of car you have, a distinct advantage if you own one of 2011’s most stolen cars.
Most Frequently Stolen Cars of 2011
According to CNN Money, the following vehicles were the most stolen in the United States in 2011.
- Cadillac Escalade
- Ford F-250
- Chevrolet Silverado
- Ford F-450
- GMC Sierra 1500
- Chrysler 300
- Ford F-350
- Chevrolet Avalanche
- GMC Yukon
- Chrysler 300 Hemi
Other vehicles remain popular targets, as well, including Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G37, Hummer H2, and Dodge Charger.
Theft Prevention Tips
CarCoversDirect.com offers the following vehicle prevention tips.
- Use a vehicle cover whenever you park your car.
- Select parking carefully. If possible, park in a monitored parking garage. Otherwise, park in a well-lit, populated area.
- Don’t leave your keys in the car. It sounds simple, but many car thieves take advantage of forgotten keys and make off with the vehicle.
- Install a GPS tracking device in your vehicle to assist with recovery.
- Always lock car doors and trunk, and roll up your windows. If you have a car alarm or other security features, use them.
- Never leave your vehicle running, even for a moment.
- Don’t leave tempting valuables in your car, such as a cell phone, GPS, or iPod.
Ready to protect your car from theft? Find a custom fit vehicle cover by selecting your make, model, and year.