×
Enter coupon code CARLOVERS5 for an additional 5% off! | through November 30 (free shipping to contiguous USA)

Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco is Awarded 2014 Stingray

This year Joe Flacco was awarded the Most Valuable Player Award for Super Bowl XLVII. The Raven’s Quarterback was presented with the title, a trophy and cash. In keeping with tradition, he also won a brand new car! Flacco was awarded a 2014 Corvette Stingray.

 
Each Super Bowl, a Most Valuable Player Award is presented. The winner of the award is chosen by a fan vote during the game and a panel of 16 football writers and broadcasters, whose votes are cast after the game. The fans’ votes count for 20% of the tally while the panel’s ballots account for the other 80%. The first Super Bowl was held in 1967, and since then the award has been given to 42 players.

 
The Corvette Stingray was presented to Flacco by Rick Flick of Banner Chevrolet. During Hurricane Katrina, Banner Chevrolet was hit with one of the biggest losses ever recorded for a US dealership. Among the lost were 650 new Chevys and 120 pre-owned vehicles. They were the first business to re-open in New Orleans East after the storm demolished much of the city in 2005. Banner Chevrolet remains the lone Chevy dealer in Orleans Parrish.

 
The tradition of awarding the MVP with a car is longstanding. It began at the end of the fifth Super Bowl, when Dallas Cowboy Chuck Howley won MVP. Last year, Eli Manning of the New York Giants won the title and chose a 2012 Chevy Corvette. In 2011, MVP Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers chose a Camaro. MVP’s are also awarded around $5,000 cash and some type of vacation, typically to a Disney park.

 
While Flacco already won the convertible, it will likely be a while before he can drive the vehicle. The car that was presented to him at the game was a pre production model- his 2014 model actually won’t begin production until the third quarter of this year. While we feel Flacco’s pain at having to wait to be behind the wheel of his new car, we imagine he will be busy accepting and being photographed with all sorts of other prizes and gifts in the meantime.